- Rainbow Childrens Unit
- Band 2
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week (Includes Saturdays)
- £24,378 - £25,426 pa inc of HCAS (Outer)
- 04/10/2022 08:00
As an NHS Trust we strongly encourage and support vaccination uptake as this remains the best line of defence against COVID19.
Ward Clerk (Band 2)
Adapt and use a range of IT systems to fulfil the role and to work without supervision as well as in a team.
Discharge patients accordingly and update Cerner with the relevant details e.g. close pregnancy, pass details to the Health Visitors, check red books, vouching online and collect discharge summaries from ward. Retrieve, prepare, file and track patient records, manually and/or using HIM tracking. Answer enquiries on the telephone or in person and take appropriate action. Meet, greet and direct visitors, patients and healthcare professionals when they arrive at the reception area. Ensure and enforce visiting rules, hours and number of visitors are adhered to at all times. Maintain the safety of the ward by monitoring and opening the main entrance door and ward entrances to visitors (via electronic buzzer), challenging visitors when necessary.
To keep up to date with the changing needs of the services, and any revised processes, policies and procedures of the Trust.
Provide cover for other staff members within the admin team during times of need.
Interview Date TBC
Main duties of the job
At Croydon University Hospital, we are passionate and committed about getting it right for patients, their families and the staff caring for them.
In order to achieve this we are looking to appoint enthusiastic, motivated and dynamic Ward Clerk who is able to deliver seamless clerical and administrative responsibilities.
The role of the Ward Clerk requires efficiency, enthusiasm, attention to detail, excellent interpersonal skills, plus a friendly and approachable manner.
The Ward Clerk is usually the first point of contact so excellent communication and customer care skills are an essential part of welcoming visitors and patients enabling them to form a good first impression of the Unit.
Having the ability to multi-task and prioritize will certainly help you when working under pressure and dealing with the demands of the role. You would be responsible for a comprehensive range of clerical functions and duties therefore good IT skills and knowledge of administration processes would be beneficial and previous experience would be advantageous.
It requires a individual to be flexible, dynamic and a person who can work autonomously in order to suit the service needs of the ward.
Working for our organisation
Croydon Health Services NHS Trust provide hospital and community services from a number of community and specialist clinics throughout Croydon.
• Croydon University Hospital
• Purley Hospital
• The Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia Centre in Thornton Heath
• Community bases at Purley, Sanderstead, New Addington, Broad Green, Woodside
• A minor injuries unit in New Addington
The Trust was formed on 1st August 2010 through the integration of Croydon Community Health Services and Mayday Healthcare NHS Trust. Around 3,500 staff provide services for a population of over 360,000 people who are relatively young with a high level of ethnic diversity.
“Excellent integrated care for you and your family, when and where you need it”
Our 5 key ‘Here for you’ promises to the people of Croydon are:
• You feel cared for by helpful and welcoming staff
• You feel in safe hands with highly professional staff
• You feel confident in your treatment from skilled teams of compassionate clinicians
• You feel we value your time with convenient appointments, minimal waiting and care closer to home
• You feel it’s getting better all the time as we continue to improve our services
We are one of 17 Trusts in the country who have been accepted as national pioneers on staff engagement and empowerment, through the adoption of "Listening into Action" as a new way of working. The approach we are taking to “Listening into Action” is new and different.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
** *****Please see the Job Description and the Person Specification for more details on the jobs responsibilities ******
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Educated to GCSE standard or equivalent
- Demonstrate literacy and numeracy
SKILLS/ABILITIES/ PERSONAL QUALITIES
- Computer skills – Word, Excel, email, Internet
- Aware of patient confidentiality
- Able to discuss sensitive issues with clinicians, doctors, midwives and the general public.
- Working with the public
- Working in a customer care setting
- Previous experience in a similar role
- NHS experience
- Knowledge of Cerner
- Knowledge of maternity pathway
- Knowledge of HIM tracking / medical records
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
- Knowledge of customer service
- Willing to undertake inhouse training
- Show tact and diplomacy
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Giselle Padmore Payne
- Job title
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 020 8401 3188