Paediatric (Acute) Junior Sister/Charge Nurse
- Band 6
- Full time - 37 hours per week (37.5)
- Croydon Health Services
- £38,762 - £45,765 pa inc HCAS
- 06/10/2022 23:59
As an NHS Trust we strongly encourage and support vaccination uptake as this remains the best line of defence against COVID19.
Paediatric (Acute) Junior Sister/Charge Nurse
RECRUITMENT OPEN DAY - SATURDAY 8th OCTOBER 2022
Do you want to be part of our growing team at an exciting time? We have vacancies available for Newly Qualified or qualified children’s nurses band 5 and 6 to join our fantastic Children's ED or Children’s Rainbow Unit.
Come along to our Open Day on Saturday 8th October 2022 to find out about the opportunities available to you to start your career. Our Open Day will be held in the Oasis Café in Croydon University Hospital from 10.30-4pm.
Children’s ED is a busy department who currently see about 30,000 children per year in a purpose built paediatric area within the Emergency Department, with a separate stream for children attending with urgent care complaints.
Rainbow Children’s Unit
You will work across our brand new unit, which opened in May 2022. We have created a purpose built, state of the art unit for children's services. Our patients and staff alike have designed it. This new unit includes a High Dependency Unit, The Inpatient Ward, Short Stay Unit, Day Care, Ambulatory and Oncology.
Both departments run regular teaching and simulation sessions, team forums and meetings. We offer bespoke paediatric study days and bite size teaching. We have an 18- month preceptorship programme for all our newly qualified nurses.
Main duties of the job
If you are enthusiastic and motivated about delivering the highest quality nursing care to children and young people, then come and work at Croydon and become a valued member of our team.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for Band 6 children’s nurses to join our friendly team in Croydon to work in a variety of paediatric areas ahead of the opening of our brand new Paediatric Integrated Unit (PIU).
In Early 2022, we will have created a purpose built, state of the art unit for children's services. It has been designed by our patients and staff alike. This new unit includes a High Dependency Unit, The Inpatient Ward, Short Stay Unit, Day Care, Ambulatory and Oncology. There is never a better time to join Team Croydon and be a big part of our journey together!
We need you,
To demonstrate excellent leadership skills, be self-motivated and flexible.
To show an adaptable and positive approach to implementing change in conjunction with evidence based practice and national guidelines.
We will provide you with;
On-going support and development to enable you to achieve your full potential. This is provided through appraisal, access to study days and courses identified in individual personal development plans.
Opportunities to work in partnership with the Community Children’s Nurses and Special School Nursing Teams.
Enhance your knowledge by working alongside our children’s asthma, diabetes and oncology nurse specialists
Working for our organisation
Croydon Health Services NHS Trust provide hospital and community services from a number of community and specialist clinics throughout Croydon.
• Croydon University Hospital
• Purley Hospital
• The Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia Centre in Thornton Heath
• Community bases at Purley, Sanderstead, New Addington, Broad Green, Woodside
• A minor injuries unit in New Addington
The Trust was formed on 1st August 2010 through the integration of Croydon Community Health Services and Mayday Healthcare NHS Trust. Around 3,500 staff provide services for a population of over 360,000 people who are relatively young with a high level of ethnic diversity.
“Excellent integrated care for you and your family, when and where you need it”
Our 5 key ‘Here for you’ promises to the people of Croydon are:
• You feel cared for by helpful and welcoming staff
• You feel in safe hands with highly professional staff
• You feel confident in your treatment from skilled teams of compassionate clinicians
• You feel we value your time with convenient appointments, minimal waiting and care closer to home
• You feel it’s getting better all the time as we continue to improve our services
We are one of 17 Trusts in the country who have been accepted as national pioneers on staff engagement and empowerment, through the adoption of "Listening into Action" as a new way of working. The approach we are taking to “Listening into Action” is new and different.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please see the attached supporting document which contains more information about the role via Job Description
Education and Qualifications
- RSCN/RN Child
- Mentorship Course
- Additional study at Degree level or working towards it
- Leadership course/ development programme
- Minimum 2 years at Band 5 with S/N experience of working in a District General Hospital
- Experience of teaching and supporting learners/ new staff
- Other paediatric experience as a team leader
Skills and abilities
- Team leader/ player demonstrating effective communication advocacy and organisational skills
- Clinical decision making skills and ability to prioritise workload
- IV additives/CVAD's
- Advanced life support course
- Phlebotomy and other expanded roles
Knowledge and Understanding
- Can discuss in depth: Current clinical and managerial trends and issues in Paediatric nursing Child Protection Clinical Governance Evidence of continued professional development
- Evidence of self directed learning
- Knowledge of Clinical Supervision and Clinical Bench Marking
- Confident flexible
- Decision taker and uses own initiative
- Outgoing and positive ability to inspire
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Sophie Sorrell
- Job title
- Practice Educator
- Email address