Immunisation Staff Nurse
- Band 5
- 9 months (fixed term)
- Part time
- Term time hours
- Annualised hours
- Lennard road
- £31,163 - £37,875 pro rata inc of HCAS
- Today at 23:59
As an NHS Trust we strongly encourage and support vaccination uptake as this remains the best line of defence against COVID19.
The post holder will be expected to work as an integral part of the Immunisation Team under the direction of the Immunisation Team Lead.
- The post holder will be competent to assist with the delivery of the school Child Immunisation Programme.
- The role will involve offering; immunisations to the eligible cohorts of school aged children as directed by NHS England and Public Health England.
- Promoting and supporting the health and wellbeing of all school age children, to enable children and young people to be able to maximise their full health potential.
- Supporting with additional capacity to follow up non returned consents
Must be car driver and have use of a car
Main duties of the job
- The role will involve the delivery of the National Childhood Immunisation Programme to school age children and young people including national campaigns aimed at the school age population.
- This role is also expected to support with additional capacity to follow up non returned consents.
- To deliver an immunisation service in schools, and
provide an accessible outreach service through offering evening and weekend clinics to meet the immunisation needs of children and young people who are not in regular education, and those of pre-school aged who have missed other opportunities for immunisation.
Working for our organisation
Croydon Health Services NHS Trust provide hospital and community services from a number of community and specialist clinics throughout Croydon.
• Croydon University Hospital
• Purley Hospital
• The Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia Centre in Thornton Heath
• Community bases at Purley, Sanderstead, New Addington, Broad Green, Woodside
• A minor injuries unit in New Addington
The Trust was formed on 1st August 2010 through the integration of Croydon Community Health Services and Mayday Healthcare NHS Trust. Around 3,500 staff provide services for a population of over 360,000 people who are relatively young with a high level of ethnic diversity.
“Excellent integrated care for you and your family, when and where you need it”
Our 5 key ‘Here for you’ promises to the people of Croydon are:
• You feel cared for by helpful and welcoming staff
• You feel in safe hands with highly professional staff
• You feel confident in your treatment from skilled teams of compassionate clinicians
• You feel we value your time with convenient appointments, minimal waiting and care closer to home
• You feel it’s getting better all the time as we continue to improve our services
We are one of 17 Trusts in the country who have been accepted as national pioneers on staff engagement and empowerment, through the adoption of "Listening into Action" as a new way of working. The approach we are taking to “Listening into Action” is new and different.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Support with additional capacity to follow up non returned consents
- To assist the senior team members to deliver the school based immunisation programme within the borough.
- To provide immunisation advice to young people, parent and carers which may include sensitive issues
- To ensure adherence to the Medicines Policy and other relevant Trust policies related to the administration of immunisations.
- To support immunisation delivery following infection control and safeguarding policies as agreed by the Trust
- Participate in the childhood immunisation programme. This will include being able to assess young people and understand the pre-requisites of giving an immunisation, understanding the
contra-indications, the aftercare and the relevant advice to give to the young person.
- To facilitate self-consent, nurses in the team will use the Fraser Guidelines to assess young people as Gillick Competent.
- To understand the relevant Patient Group Direction, the relevant chapter in the Immunisation Green Book (D.O.H) and understand storage, cold chain and carriage instructions for immunisations.
- Contribute to the identification and protection of children at risk of abuse and act in accordance with the local Safeguarding Children’s Board guidelines.
- Participate in health promotion / education and public health activities related to the Childhood Immunisation Campaign
- To work as part of a team and independently
- Maintaining own professional development and requirement to take part in appraisals as per Trust policy
- To be responsible for your own record keeping, including data inputting and reporting to meet local, NHSE and NMC requirements
Education and Qualifications
- Registered Nurse NMC
Knowledge and understanding
- Awareness of the school aged immunisation programme
- Knowledge of Safeguarding children
- PGDs/Green Book
- At least six months post registration experience
- Previous school or community nursing experience in working with children or previous paediatric nursing experience.
Skills and Ability
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to organise own time efficiently
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and understand own role within the team
- Knowledge of Fraser Guideline and assessment of Gillick Competence
- Trained immuniser
- Ability to work flexibly to meet the needs of the service
- Must be a car driver, owner and have a UK driving licence
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Wilma Munzara
- Job title
- Operational Lead School Nursing &Immunisations
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
Team leads for Immunisation Service :
- Julie Henn mobile: 07795617716 email address:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hayley Sullivan mobile:074 6451 3240 email address:email@example.com
Immunisation office telephone number: 020 8274 6314